Course Description: Aviation English: Request Higher 3.0 is designed to help students at ICAO Level 2 to move to ICAO Level 3 English Proficiency. Request Higher 3.0 develops English language skills in Pronunciation, Structure, Vocabulary, Fluency, Interaction, and Comprehension discussing the non-routine situations in Aviation. Although the focus of the class is placed on listening and speaking skills, Request Higher 3.0 uses the written word for students to “lean on” as they strengthen their skills.
Course Objectives: Students in Request Higher 3.0 will develop effective listening and speaking skills such that they feel comfortable in Aviation related situations. Students will accomplish their goals through conversation, classroom discussions, non-routine pilot/ATC transmissions, and videos. With guidance from the instructor, students will:
- Converse about aviation-related career goals and routine situations in aviation using simple grammar.
- Summarize and discuss aviation related emergency incidents from FAA training materials, aviation texts, videos, and audio recordings.
- Construct Pilot/ATC messages with sufficient vocabulary to communicate on common, concrete aviation topics.
- Construct questions and advice using simple and progressive tenses to learn more details about non-routine situations in aviation.
- Identify the purpose of pilot/ATC messages and respond appropriately.
- Practice aviation vocabulary by focusing on minimal pairs, consonant clusters, intonation, and word stress.
- Develop solid sentence structure using simple sentences with adjectives, dependent and independent clauses.
- Compare and contrast photos of non-routine/emergency situations in aviation using simple sentence structure.
Intensive Pace (4 hours per day/4 days per week)
Regular Pace Live (2 hours per day/2 days per week)
Regular Pace (1 hour per week/4 days per month)